Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bay Area Open 2012

I haven't done a lot of gaming since the end of the escalation league.  Things pretty much ground to a halt since everyone was a little burnt out.  As tournament season started approaching, I decide that break time was over but I had a tough choice to make.  I'd been playing Empire, but hadn't started painting them yet and a new Empire book was looming on the horizon.  I was out of practice with Dark Elves and wanted to make some improvements to my list from the previous year.  If I was going to play Empire, I was going to have to paint like the wind and hope that the new book didn't disrupt things too much.  If I were going to play Dark Elves again, I would need to get in some practice games to figure out what list changes I wanted to make so I could paint whatever additional models I needed.

I decided to take the easier route and go with Dark Elves again.  I signed up for the Bay Area Open at the last minute as a way to get in some test games with a slightly different list.  The reason I hadn't blogged about that tournament yet was because I did so poorly at it, I don't even want to think about it any more.  However, I did learn that the list I was trying simply wasn't going to work for me.  Other people might have success with Cold One Knights, but I just can't get the hang of them in 8th.  So I went back to the drawing board and came up with a list that was more my style and started practicing for the next tournament of the season, the SAWS Challenge. 

The actual tournament seemed ok.  The fantasy turnout was maybe half that of 40k and less than flames of war, somewhere around 30 players.  They seemed a little disorganized and since fantasy was the lowest attended part of the tournament, I felt like we were also the least well run part of the event.  I'd say there's a 70% chance that I'll go back next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment